How do I install hardwood flooring?
There are several things to consider before you begin to install hardwood flooring. Careful preparation before beginning will make installing your hardwood floor a quick and easy process.
- Ensure that your sub-floor is flat and smooth.
- Take extra care when installing hardwood flooring over radiant heating. Ensure that you read both the hardwood flooring and radiant heat system instructions carefully before beginning.
- Read your hardwood flooring manufacturer’s installation instructions carefully.
- Allow your hardwood flooring to acclimate in the room where it will be installed for a minimum of 72 hours.
- Inspect each strip of hardwood flooring carefully for defects or damage before installing it.
- Always use a tapping block and never hit hardwood flooring directly to avoid fracturing the flooring edge. A piece of flooring trim makes a good tapping block.
- Add at least 5% to your square footage when ordering to allow for waste and cuts. As a rule of thumb for non-professionals, add 7% to 10% depending on your skill level and the layout of the area.